Saturday 17 January 2015

An insatiable desire to learn to read





Volunteer Lucy joined the Book Bus for 3 weeks in 2014.

"Being a volunteer with The Book Bus in Mfuwe opened my eyes to the children’s insatiable desire to learn and the warmth and hospitality of the Zambian people. 

I was astonished at the help The Book Bus was able to provide in supporting these children.

 We visited 5 schools regularly during my trip, and one of these schools was a completely new partner school: the difference between the confidence of the children from The Book Bus’ regular partner schools and this new school was remarkable. Nevertheless, after just a few visits there was a sense of palpable enthusiasm in the classroom. I hope that with The Book Bus’ support all of these children will continue to gain confidence in their abilities as individuals as well as in their reading skills, and I hope that the girls in particular will have a greater desire to continue their education for as long as possible. 

It was a great experience and one I'd recommend to anyone".  Lucy Curzon


To find out more visit http://www.thebookbus.org/help_as_a_volunteer_in_south_luangwa_zambia.htm